Pages

Saturday 31 August 2013

My Father on His Day

Happy Father's Day Father! Well I was thinking about whether to make a card for my Dad but since I just randomly started this blog I figured I'd do a blog post about him instead! My dad is a pretty cool guy, and I'm only saying this because it's Father's day otherwise his head would grow so big he wouldn't be able to fit inside doors anymore, but once in a while he deserves a bit of praise.


My Dad's name is Arie, which is more of a nickname as his real Indonesian name is Indrarso (I think that is how you spell it) which I think is pretty damn cool. He was born in Indonesia but came over to Australia to get married when he was 27 and he didn't even speak English so the first few years were pretty hard on him, but my dad is a pretty tough guy so he was OK. My dad has always been a very selfless man, he talks about how having children changed him and has always let me and Tobin know how much he loves us. It makes me think about whether I will change the same way when I have children, but back to my dad.

I mainly only got to see him on the weekends when I was growing up and those were the happiest memories of my childhood, and until I got to live with him full time at the age of 15 I didn't really have the role model I needed. It's amazing how I changed in the years since I started living with my dad because before that I was quite the problem child. For my Dads patience and understanding I am eternally grateful.

I will always remember a conversation we had on the phone, I was across the other side of the country at the time, which was a major turning point in my life. It was for an English assignment - we had to write something about someone we really admired I think. I chose my Dad and so I called him up and we had a very long chat. He talked about his job which is actually very interesting because of the personal traits required to work like my dad works.

My dad is an IT help Supervisor (he has a different title that is long and convoluted and makes much less sense so I won't use that), and he talked about how he helps people. The main thing he said was that you have to think about the other person, when they are screaming at you, you have to wonder - why? You have to see where they are coming from and be patient. My dad is the man that his workers ask for help when there is someone really upset. My dad never claims to be amazingly clever, I think the main thing that is amazing about my dad is that he understands them and makes them trust that he is going to try to help them - and I think that is what they need the most.

Whenever I try to explain what he told me it never really comes out right, but it made me feel very humbled.

I love you Dad! I will never forget all the things you have done for me!

Happy Fathers day!

4 comments:

  1. So sweet :) I hope you turn out like Arie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my son! So very nice of you to write this! You two that make my life a happy one. I will always be your Dad forever ... will always be here for you

    Of course, both your mum and I who brought you up 'together' our best, with acts, advice, examples and prayers ... for you two to live happy lives.

    Thank you Kim ... You and Grace are a very cool and kind persons.

    Love you my sons Grace and Kim!

    Happy Dad indeed!




    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwe~
    So touching! <3,
    Arie, You are awesome, indeed!!!
    xoxoxo :D

    ReplyDelete